Thanks to Katherine Leitzell who works for and listed a job for a senior science communications specialist at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA). Before describing the job, here’s a little more about the institute from the What is IIIASA? webpage,
Founded in 1972, the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) conducts policy-oriented research into problems of a global nature that are too large or too complex to be solved by a single country or academic discipline.
IIASA is sponsored by its National Member Organizations in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Americas. Its research is independent and completely unconstrained by political or national self-interest.
Here’s more about the job (deadline: Oct. 14, 2012) from the Senior Communications Specialist webpage in the IIASA Job Openings webspace,
The Senior Communications Specialist will professionally manage and build IIASA’s profile and reputation with target audiences around the world through the development and implementation of communication strategies and activities
Reporting to IIASA’s Head of Communications, the Senior Communications Specialist will:
- Support the formulation and development of IIASA’s communications strategy
- Flawlessly implement and monitor a range of science communication activities that contribute to the strategy
- Provide expert communication advice to IIASA’s senior managers and program leaders
- Act as deputy to the Head of Communications and Officer in Charge during periods of absence (from 1 November 2012, IIASA’s Head of Communications will work one day a week at the Institute).
Specific responsibilities and job duties are then described followed by,
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) or bachelor’s degree plus professional qualification in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field, or demonstrable qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of a university degree
- At least ten years’ experience in successfully implementing communications activities across a wide range of channels (events, Web, media, broadcasting, publications, marketing)
- Strong strategic communication skills and sound political judgment necessary for a large organization with numerous and diverse stakeholders around the world
- Excellent science writing skills and proven ability to present complex science information to a non-specialist audience
- Native-level English speaker and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with the interface between science and policy and getting research into policy desirable
- Experience in managing high-level contacts with civil society organizations, government officials, business groups, international organizations and similar groups desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team and to maintain professional and productive relationships with scientists and staff from diverse nationalities
- Proven ability to coordinate and oversee the work of others.
The successful candidate should be willing and able to commit to a three year contractual affiliation with the Institute following an initial appointment term of one year.
IIASA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including moving allowances and home leave. Salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria, but subject to the principle of income aggregation.
Preference will be given to applicants who are nationals of IIASA member countries. The Institute’s management and staff alike are committed to a working environment that promotes equality, diversity, and tolerance. The Institute encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
As Canada is not a member IIASA country, Canadian candidates won’t be be given preference but whether or not your country is a member, this looks like an exciting organization and opportunity. You can get all the details on the Senior Communications Specialist (job posting) webpage including information about the materials for your submission and contacts. Good luck!